Latest Events

Bantry Historical Society welcomes
all with an interest in history

The Society, referred to as Bantry Historical Society, was set up by a small group of enthusiastic local people in 1978. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to these wonderful people for their foresight and commitment to researching local history, folklore and culture of the greater Bantry area and the Society continues to fulfil its initial remit of informing and researching Bantry and its environs. Our lecture programme has covered many diverse topics while our outings to sites of interest are always well attended and greatly enjoyed. Our museum goes from strength to strength and attracts many hundreds of visitors to browse its rich holdings.

The organisation depends on the goodwill and involvement of the local community and we sincerely hope to see you at some of our future events. We are passionate about our local history and heritage, and, through our talks and outings, are eager to celebrate and share it with locals and visitors alike.

Our Logo

The boat featured in our logo is a representation of a carving found on the northeast face of the Kilnaruane Pillar Stone. This 9th century pillar stone is situated on a hill overlooking Bantry Bay.

Members at Sherkin Abbey
Enjoying the "cuppa"
Celebrating the Culture & Creativity of Bantry's Four Valleys


Over the years we have published three volumes of our Historical Journal and a commemorative book about Bantry's contribution to our country's fight for freedom and events leading up to the Truce in 1921, Bantry Remembers 1916 - 1921. 

The contents of each book may be seen by clicking on the relevant image.

All four are available at SuperValu, Bantry or Bantry Bookshop, William Street, Bantry, Co. Cork. Phone 027 55946, email or contact the Society.

Read More


Bantry Museum open during summer months

Read More

West Cork


The current officers and committee are:

Arethusa Greacen

Angela O'Donovan

Honorary Secretary:
Terrie Erdpohl

Honorary Treasurer:
Margaret McAllister

Public Relations Officer:
Bernard O’Leary

Museum Curator:
Joan O’Sullivan

Assistant Curator:
Hazel Vickery

Assistant Secretary:
Jim Larner

Charlie McCarthy, Cathriona Tobin, Colette O'Regan, Debbie Delaney, John Connolly